Thursday 26 February 2009

Teenage Parents



Generally, I believe that Teenage parents are entering into a world that will provide them with more struggles than they can imagine. Being a parent is not an easy task (ask my mom!!!) it is a life long commitment that will dictate every choice in your life and restrict you no end.


This is why the recent article of a 13 year old father is so frustrating, does this child realise the implications he is facing his 'daughter' (2 other teenage boys have claimed they could be the childs father) with?? Probably not.


This subject is particularly close to my heart as i, myself am a teenage parent. Granted i was not 13 when i became a pregnant but 15. Looking back now, i was far too young and i must admit, at the time i did not think about the implications on the child, all i saw was that i wanted to keep my child. I knew i would do the best i could for my child (hence being a university) but i was not prepared for the struggle that being a mother entails, and boy is it hard!!!


As it stands now, my child is happy, healthy and well looked after, but this is because i have an amazing support network at home. I am aware that i am one of the very few lucky people who has the opportunity to further themselves, it is not always an option.


The general problem with teenage parents is that they do not continue with education to provide for their children, prefering to live of the state, this is why people become hostile to the stigma attached to being a single or young parent.


It is clearly obvious that action needs to be taken to prevent the number of young families because it is just not fair on the children being brought into the world, who have not choice in the matter.


Looking at my personal situation, if i could have my time again, i don't know what i would do. I have a happy, healthy child who is well looked after. however, i was not prepared for a child....

http://www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/health/teenagepregnancy/statistics/

No comments:

Post a Comment