Tuesday 24 March 2009

early sexualisation



As a mother i am all to aware that at some stage of my son's life he will become sexually active, however much i hate that thought!! At the moment i have a gorgeous little boy (who is four) and i am just enjoying having an innocent little man around me. However, it has come to my attention that little boys do not stay little boys for very long!!



It has been well publicised in the press of the 'need' to educate children at a younger age about the perils of sex and it's consequences. However, in my mind this is a 'catch 22' situation. If you begin to educate a child on sex younger, are you opening up their minds to the 'excitement' out there? Making them aware of what is to come can be conveyed as encouragement, yet if you say nothing they will have no idea of the dangers and risks out their like STDs, pregnancy etc.




From a mother's perspective, i would probably opt to tell my son of the consequences that sex can lead to. I, myself, got pregnant at 15, and i must admit i had a poor introduction to sexual activities. In no way is this an excuse and i don't for one second regret my choice to have my son, but i must admit, i would have waited, espcially now i am at unversity. I am very blessed with the freedom my mom allows me :) but i am not able to move to uni, go away for more than a few hours or be carefree, i feel this is what youngsters don't realise when they are 'experimenting'




It is a fact that much more needs to be done about childrens education, but in what manner will it be conveyed? i believe it is a very thin line between opening their eyes to something exciting and trying to make them understand the perils sex can have.




Personally, i dont want my son learning about sex too young as i feel it will remove his ignorance to society and his childhood. however, more education is needed.




Clothes and mergandise also play a part in the early maturing in children, especially girls. Offering the a selection of padded bras, revealing clothing and mini versions af adult clothing. This will only encourage them to grow up too quickly, it is also conveying the wrong message, maybe even to peadophiles. In the end, the fact remains that education is in need of some tlc, but for now can we please just let children be children?!




No comments:

Post a Comment